September 17, 2009

Well, Joe's been gone for over a week now. Only two more days to go, thank God! I had anticipated having time while he was gone to do some computer work, some letter writing, etc., but I was very wrong. I have been busier, tireder, and even sicker, than ever! Paradise requires at least two people to run smoothly. It's no coincidence it was Adam AND Eve in the garden of Eden. And it doesn't help that this modern day Eve is also trying to hold down a job. I became slightly despondent on Tuesday when, upon arriving at work, I found the door to my boss' upright freezer standing open and the bulk of my summer's hard work spoiled and stinking. After dragging load after load of broccoli, blueberries, peaches, tomatoes, etc. down to the compost pile, I promptly went home and got sick. The bug only lasted for 24 hours or so, but it was about then that I decided it is high time to have Joe back again. But really, I've been doing quite well on my own.

A very exciting part of this past week has been the extra, dainty little eggs I'm finding in the chickens' nest each day. Our little "chicks" are all grown up! The guinea chicks don't seem to be getting much bigger, but they are getting more and more adult feathers every day. They are still convinced that I am going to eat them alive at any second, despite the fact that my presence only means good things, like fresh water and food. I tried to clean out their crate and give them some fresh hay, and I was afraid they would all die of heart failure before I was done! I'm hoping this is just a phase, overactive adolescent neurosis. I guess we'll see.

No comments: