October 28, 2009

We lost another guinea the other night. Apparently, after they were already closed in to the pen for the night, something inspired them to escape the pen and they managed to fly out through some small gap in the netting to roost on the garden fence(six of the eight anyway). The next morning we were down to seven guineas. I suspect the culprit was the owl that has been hanging out in the edge of the woods lately. I was pretty bummed to learn that the pen was not the inescapable safe haven I imagined it to be and that it only took one night out in the wide open to suffer losses from predators. Because there was no carcass to deal with and I can't tell the guineas apart from each other, it was more like the guineas as a unit lost a little weight rather than a death in the family. At least we found out, albeit the hard way, that the pen could use some more security measures.

Here's a few photos I took from up in an old oak tree the other day while wandering about our property taking in the fall beauty.




"It's a hard knock life for us.."

1 comment:

Angela Baird said...

Ok, second try at this. I'm doing fine, friendless, as usual, but accustomed to it :) If you'd like to catch up on my latest adventures, go here; http://www.wblogan.net/baird
Some wild and crazy times for the Bairds... not. Well, sometimes. Anywho, I love your blog.