June 19, 2010

Joe recently checked out a book from the library called "The Cabin: Inspiration for the Classic American Getaway". It is a beautiful collection of photos and descriptions of cabins throughout the country, although the authors' description of a "cabin" is somewhat broader than mine (their cutoff size was 1200 sq ft). I had to chuckle when I read this one paragraph:

"It takes some imagination to take an open 14-ft by 16-ft room and jigger its simple rectangular plan into a working home--if only for weekends and vacations. But that's the type of planning that has to take place if a family is going to use the room for a variety of different needs: from sleeping to cooking, from reading to entertaining. For some, a 14-ft by 16-ft room is small, even for a master bedroom; but for Lois and John Schwob, this tiny, changing space is everything."

For those of you readers who may not know me personally, my husband and I have spent three years now living full time in a 12-ft by 16-ft one room cabin (in the truest sense of the word). The authors were correct in their assessment that it takes some imagination to jigger (is that a real word??) one open room into a working home, but what a fun and rewarding challenge it has been. :)

Off the topic, but this morning I spotted TWO frogs in my pond. We all know what that means...

*Note: I just did a Google search on 'jigger' and came up with:
"A person who jigs or operates a jig. A small measure for liquor, usually holding 1/2 ounces."

Interesting new word, but I'm not sure if it was entirely applicable in the above quote.

No comments: