July 14, 2010

As promised, here is a photo of the baby guineas. I know it is not a great picture, but it was taken from quite a distance, using the chicken house as protective cover. You can see the crazy look in Mama G's eye!!

She continues to terrorize poultry treat time with her misplaced aggression. I have been wearing long pants, long sleeve jacket and a motorcycle helmet to feed and close up the birds at night. However, last night I let it slide and BAM!!, she got me on the side of the head while I was trying to open up the barrel to get to the cracked corn! I've definitely learned my lesson! Until those babies are old enough to vote, the helmet stays on at feeding time!

I didn't take the attack laying down, though. As soon as I regained my wits, I chased her and the rest of the guineas around the corner of the chicken pen, angrily demanding respect and shaking my finger for emphasis. The flock of flustered guineas ran right into a hornets nest, who also began angrily demanding respect! I immediately forget my bruised head and bruised ego and ran the other way. The adult guineas followed my example, but the poor little babies ran around helter skelter in the midst of the angry hornets, squeaking and popping in the air like popcorn when they got stung! It was a sad sight, but luckily they soon regained their bearings and ran to find Mama G.

All in all it was a royally failed chicken-pen-up attempt. Nobody got any chicken scratch, and in the melee I didn't even get the pen door latched. Within minutes the chickens were all out playing again. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

On the bright side, we have managed to get almost a quarter inch of rain in the past few days!! Certainly not a drought breaker, but oh so very good for the soul.

No comments: