December 18, 2008

Settling in at the beach

We've only been in Va Beach for 2 1/2 weeks, but it seems longer. That sounds bad, but really I mean that we've quickly settled in to our routine and surroundings and feel like old pros. I think the patterns we formed last winter resurfaced quickly and made settling in easier. Even Wilson remembers all his old haunts and rules - like waiting at a street corner for the okay BEFORE crossing.

Joe is working at the gym 6 days a week, mostly afternoons and evenings. This is quite the opposite schedule of his body clock, but he is making up for it with naps. :) He is making full use of the gym and working out alot. Usually he has almost finished a workout before I even get up in the morning. I am managing to make it to the gym more often this winter. I have dedicated myself to doing at least one yoga class a week and working out, with Joe's help, several times a week.

I am doing some substitute teaching when called upon, which has only been twice so far. I am really enjoying the downtime, though, and am investing it in expanding some of my interests. This website has been one of my major projects. My other focus so far has been cooking. Having access to an "easy" kitchen (e.g. one with running water, unlimited electricity, etc.) has motivated me to practice my bread baking and try out new recipes.

Wilson's ideal urban schedule would be to wake up mid-morning and hit the streets until evening. In reality he gets one or two walks a day, the occasional play date with his buddies Tico and Baby, and settles for sleeping on the couch the rest of the time (a privilege he is not usualy allowed and is taking full advantage of). Foxy's schedule hasn't changed much and still consists of sleeping non-stop except for his two, much anticipated meals, and a forced exile from the house at night. This is so we can sleep peacefully and not be woken up when the call of the wild hits him at 2:30 a.m. And now...a couple of pictures.


It is really hard to get a picture where Joe is not making some kind of face AND Wilson looks happy. In this one, I had to settle for Joe looking normal. The frog is Wilson's new favorite toy of the moment.

These pictures are for Deb, who requested more goat photos. Banjo always wants to get upclose and personal with the camera. Yoda is finally feeling big and confident enough to engage Banjo in that always favorite pastime of head-butting.

3 comments:

canningmama said...

Hi Darlin'!
I love your new look. The picture on your header is so gorgeous and looks so much like the views from the Rocky Knob area. It's perfect. I miss, miss, miss you and Aaron still mentioned maybe coming that way after Lauralee and D's??? We'll see, but if not Merry Christmas!! Love ya!

canningmama said...

Oh yeah, and I love the picture of you, Joe, and Wilson. And the goats too, of course. :)

missamandabeth said...

Thanks dear! We would definitely love to see you. Oh, the header photo is one I took during our trip to Shenandoah in May, so I thought it was very fitting.