April 04, 2010

Happy Easter!

If photos could transmit scents, you would be intoxicated by your computer screen right now.
Wow, Easter already. Everything seems to be happening really fast this year. I've almost gotten whiplash from how quickly we went from being buried under a deep blanket of snow to putting on sunscreen and straw hats while out planting flowers. As Joe said, I was expecting more of a transition. While I know that there's a pretty good chance that winter will be back for one final word before it's all over, I'm thoroughly enjoying this burst of spring energy in the meantime.

After so many months of very limited activity, I'm feeling more productive than ever. The spring buzz has infected Joe as well. Yesterday, in a matter of a few hours, he knocked out a project that has been on our "list" for almost three years - finishing the soffit under the porch roof. The numerous wasps who were enthusiastically scouting out our eaves helped to fuel the sense of urgency for this project.

My own projects have been less practical and more aesthetic, but I'm still very proud of them. Visions of flowers bursting forth everywhere made me want to spruce up my flowers beds, but there was no point pulling weeds and putting down mulch as it would only encourage the chickens to excavate the area, damaging the newly emerging bulbs and perennials in their quest for hidden treasure. The thrown together plastic netting fence I put up in desperation last year was falling down and no longer serving its purpose. A full flowerbed makeover was in order! I invented my own fencing system using only some pressure treated porch-rail pickets and some garden twine. The result was far more attractive than its predecessor and so far seems to be working like a charm.

No comments: