September 04, 2010

The parade of deaths around here lately has me feeling a little fragile and vulnerable. If I were a turtle, I'd be clamped tightly in my shell waiting for the storm to pass. But, I'm not a turtle, and life goes on, and it is a BEAUTIFUL September, fall's-around-the-corner kind of day. I don't have much to say, however, but here are a few random pictures of the moment.

On Wednesday, we went on an apple harvesting expedition and then came home and canned 32 quarts of applesauce from 6 5-gallon buckets. This is a sampling of the 14 buckets we have to tackle tomorrow.


It'll be quite a few years before our fruit harvesting expeditions only go as far as our front yard, but here are a couple of the beautiful apples our little Fuji tree has produced this year.


Joe and our friend, Robert, are digging out our spring. We've decided it's time for a more sophisticated spring capture set-up, and this is step one. It is quite exciting to see the steady stream of crystal clear, pure water coming straight out of the hillside...


...and the river of mud that has resulted from all of the digging and water diverting. :)

1 comment:

MsAnomaly said...

LOVE that outdoor kitchen! If we had one, I'd actually try my hand at canning! But I want to make an apple pie, now! Joe's look delicious! Amanda, you've inspired me to start making applesuace again. We have always gone to a local orchard for apples in the fall, but I quit making sauce a few years back,and have since just used our apples for pies. This fall, though, hubby gets 2 fewer pies and I get my cinnamon applesauce! ;)