March 26, 2011

I must be seriously out of the loop because apparently they are enacting much stricter regulations on road kill these days. It's not enough to just run over it, now you have to season it, bake it and hermetically seal it! Below is an actual photo of some "roadkill" I encountered in the middle of a back country road on the way to work the other day. Whereas I usually make it a point to spend as little time engaged with roadkill as possible (well, there was that tail collecting phase I went through as a teenager…but that's another story), I had to stop and pick this one up. After all, nobody doesn't like Sara Lee, right?


Wilson certainly thinks we should stop to pick up roadkill more often, and Wilson was exactly who I had in mind when stopped to collect it. This thing oughta feed him for a week! I sliced it up and put most of it in my boss' freezer; the rest will be eaten over the next few days by a very lucky beagle. I was interested to note that ingesting large quantities of turkey apparently makes beagles as sleepy as it does humans. (Phew! And gassy, judging by the vapors wafting up from the beagle sleeping down below me.)


On a less disgusting note, here are some photos of the spring beauty popping up everywhere you look.




I find myself constantly inventorying the birdcalls I hear and noting which new birds are settling back in after their winters down south. Towhees and phoebes are two of the most recent ones. I heard a screech owl the other night, and I think I heard a turkey calling one morning (that would be the wild, live variety, not the shrink wrapped, oven roasted Sara Lee kind). I'm anxiously awaiting the day my two favorites make their presence known - the whippoorwills and the wood thrushes.

1 comment:

canningmama said...

that's just too funny; I do feel for the one that got home to find that they didn't arrive with their turkey breast. those kinds of packages of meat sold from a deli are expensive! i do love all the spring peeking out everywhere; even with snow all over it like this this morning. :P