January 04, 2012

Ahh, thanks to some bitter winds and ice cold temperatures, I'm finally getting some good sleep! Whereas nightly feeding raids by owls don't seem to do much to affect a guinea's sleeping preferences, cold blowing snow sure will! Maybe owls don't like to hunt in frigid temps either, but whatever the reason, the guineas all slept in the chicken house last night, no one got killed, and I got to sleep like a baby. This arctic blast is a short one, though, and the temperatures are supposed to start climbing back up again in another night or two. I hope the guineas stick with the new program so we don't just start the cycle all over again. But, at least I've caught up on some sleep.

Speaking of cold temperatures, I've noticed in the past few days that 49 seems to be the magic number in my house. I'll load the stove a final time before going to bed (which means it will burn for another 45 minutes or so), the indoor temperature will be in the mid to upper 60's, and when I wake up in the morning 8 or so hours later, it'll be 49 degrees in the house. I'll build a fire again before leaving for work, once again leaving the house in the mid to upper 60's, come home 8 or so hours later, and it'll be 49 degrees inside. Not exactly a balmy temperature, but not bad considering it's a small house with no back-up heat source, and the outside temps have been in the teens to barely topping freezing.

1 comment:

Angela Baird said...

You've been nominated! If you choose to accept this award, go here
http://twobairds.wordpress.com/
and do as it says.