February 08, 2012

Good eatin', for chickens

My chickens are one of the primary beneficiaries of my garden pest control  endeavors. I do not let my chickens into the garden to search for insect pests on their own. If that was all they did, it would be very helpful and cut me out as an unnecessary middle man, but the true result would be that I would have not only a garden free of pests, but a garden free of any plants at all. Trust me, I know my chickens. The other day they decided to completely consume my several year old, overwintering, adorable patch of the succulent plant I call "Hens and Chicks". Cannibalistic little buggers!! So, during the summer, I am left to the task of handpicking the insects that plague my crops and serving them to the chickens on a silver platter, so to speak. They are especially fond of cabbage worms, cut worms and those giant, juicy grubs (I think they might be Japanese beetle grubs??). There are some bugs I can never seem to get them interested in though, and who would blame them. Would you eat a slug?? I would also never in a million years, even if starving and desperate beyond imagination, eat a squash bug, but I was very annoyed that my chickens turned out to be as picky as myself.

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia
I have recently discovered, however, that during the winter when bug-pickins' are slim, chickens are willing to expand their dietary palettes. (Hence the decimated "Hens and chicks") I do not have any squash bugs to feed them this time of year, but I do have a house, like most everyone else, that has been invaded by their close cousins, the brown marmorated stink bug. I used to think lady bugs were the worst things you could share your house with over winter, but these guys have convinced me otherwise. But! Hallelujah! It turns out chickens think that stink bugs are a delightful treat, at least in the winter. So, now rather than being annoyed when I find one of these guys crawling around on the windows (or worse yet, my pillow) I capture it in a little jar and toss 'em to the poultry. The other day I found a cluster of 30 or so stink bugs hiding out in a cranny of the outdoor kitchen. What a feast! I see this all as a slightly sadistic win-win situation -- household pest turned chicken treat turned eventually to yummy eggs for breakfast! Now, hopefully the chickens will remember about eating stink bugs when squash bug season rolls around. If not, maybe I'll hire this kid.
Sorry, I know I've put this picture on my blog before, but I just can't help it. It gives me the shivers all over to even imagine!! I just have to share the horror. And hey, the kid is happy!

3 comments:

Angela Baird said...

You have been nominated for the Versatile Blogger award. Please visit http://twobairds.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/versatile-blogger/ for acceptance instructions if you are interested. You have been nominated by a fellow blogger who enjoys reading your blog! Congratulations!

American Alps said...

I am new to your blog and enjoyed it very much.
I too have chickens and they eat various garden bugs. Mine however must not be very discriminating because they LOVE slugs! They actually have chicken tug-o-war with them which would be unsettling except it is a slug and I hate those slimy things.

missamandabeth said...

American Alps, thanks so much for the kind words. I am glad to know my ramblings bring enjoyment to others. :) I looked at your blog as well and must say, it looks like you are blessed to live in a very beautiful place. I am such a mountain person. Please send one of your chickens my way to teach my food-snob birds about eating slugs. I've heard ducks really like slugs, but I haven't ventured into that branch of poultry keeping yet. I've seen my chickens have tug-o-wars over giant tomato hornworms, and it is a bit gruesome. At least the stink bugs go down in one quick swallow. I figure it can't be too bad a way to go, for a stink bug.