July 22, 2012

Eden's First Trauma - Three Stooges Style

Well, besides the process of being born, and there wasn't anything Three Stooges-esque about that! Earlier this week, Eden and I attempted our first major road trip. We - along with my mother, sister, niece, nephew and sister-in-law - went to Atlanta to visit my grandparents. I was very nervous about the long car ride, but it went much better than I had expected. Many thanks to Mariah (sister-in-law) for the expert driving both ways, allowing me to sit in the back and "entertain" Eden during her many awake periods. The six hour trip only took 8-9 hours with stops for nursing and carseat freedom.

The journey, however, was not the traumatic part. My grandparents have two sunrooms, both of which are equipped with rockers/gliders that make perfect nursing locations. I was relocating to one of the sunrooms for a quiet spot to nurse Eden when I walked us both headlong into a sliding glass door. There was that split second when we were both so shocked all was dead silent, but then came the cries. I had been holding Eden in front of me and her poor little head took the brunt of the impact, smashed between the door and my body. Eden doesn't cry much at all, and when she does it is mostly the "I'm tired" type of cry. This is the first time I'd heard her really cry out of pain. She sobbed heartbreakingly half of the time she was nursing, but in the end she gave me a big grin, so I knew I was forgiven. Luckily, no lumps, bumps or bruises were sustained.

I lost my camera just before heading out on this epic journey, so no pictures at the moment. We found the camera this morning, though, after pulling the mattress away from the wall, so here's a little grin for ya.

1 comment:

canningmama said...

that's hilarious and sad and pathetic all at the same time. and what an adorable picture!!!!!