January 21, 2013

Goodbye...maybe??

I apparently have some really bad beagle karma swirling around me lately. First it was the disappearance of Wilson eight months ago, a heartbreaking mystery that remains unsolved to this day

Strike two was running over my grandfather's elderly beagle, Fancy. Yes, given her deafness and seeming oblivion about cars it was only a matter of time until someone ran over her, but still, that someone was me. Luckily, she's alive and in good spirits but not using her hind end.

Now it's Jango. Did I ever even get around to introducing him here? Jango is the friendly beagle who's been living with us for six months or so after he showed up, and stayed, at my parent's place. He was no Wilson, but he was cute and sweet and gentle with Eden. See, I'm confused as to whether or not to speak of him in the past or present tense because now he is missing as well, for almost a week, the day before a 10-inch snowstorm and Arctic temperatures. He was wearing his collar with ID tag so we were sure we'd be getting a call soon, but....

This is really just getting maddening. Don't get me wrong; I'm sad he's gone and worried as to his fate, but mostly I just can't believe this is happening g again. I've had eight dogs in my life - three of which died after being struck by cars, two died of old age (there's a novel idea!), one is living out her last days with my parents, and then there's the vanishers. Losing a pet by any means is never easy, but I've always had a body to bury, a sense of closure. I don't know what to do with these disappearances! Do I hold out hope? How long? Do I assume the worst? Which worst? I've got a very vivid imagination. Jango could have been stolen and sold to a medical lab for experiments. A neighbor could have him tied in a back room pretending to know nothing all the while. Maybe our cat Foxy put a hit out on him. Maybe he's headed West in search of gold. Who knows! Realistically, I'm waiting for the snow to melt so I can search the roadsides for a body, but probably I'll never know.

Either way, strike three...I'm out.

3 comments:

canningmama said...

Same here with our cat. Still no sign of her after well over 2 weeks, going on three....in this cold and snowy weather, and with her extreme dislike of cold, she would have come crying at the windows to come in if she were around. I guess we'll never know.

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, I periodically will see a little beagle walking down the road around Hillsville, or Laurel Fork, or on Willis Gap and I slow down to see if it's Wilson. :)

missamandabeth said...

Aww, Wilson. I still think of him almost everyday. Thanks for keeping an eye out for him! :)