July 27, 2009

I will never understand how someone can spend as little time as I do being gainfully employed and STILL not have time to get half the things done that I want to. This has been a crazy week. On Wednesday of last week, Joe and I went and spent the day with Jenny (aka Canningmama) to engage in a mad peach canning blitz. After 12 hours and six bushels of peaches, we ended up with 42 quarts of peach halves, 13 pints of peach marmalade, 11 pints of peach butter, 11 pints of peach salsa and 25 pints of peach puree. And as if that wasn't enough, we've just committed ourselves to as many as 8 more bushels to process this weekend, and Jenny will be out of town. What are we thinking!?!

The other big time-consumer this past week was Floydfest. As fun as it was to dance and get free admission to a really cool music festival, it was also exhausting. Three days of performing, practicing and commuting. Somehow we managed to fit in a morning's work at the blueberry farm on Saturday, but we will have to go back soon to pick our 4-gallons of berries we earned. Speaking of berries, the wild berries wait for no man! They are not putting themselves on hold simply because we are too busy to find time to pick and process them. We went out this morning and spent an hour before heading to work picking a gallon or so of blackberries. We are temporarily borrowing freezer space until we can get around to making jam. Looking forward to the rest of this week, it is unlikely Joe and I will have any free time at home together to go pick, and I am not brave enough to go out deep into the berry thickets on my own. My imagination runs wild with scenarios of stepping on a snake or rolling down a hill and being incapacitated, and no one would have a clue where to find me. Wilson wouldn't be any help at tracking me because I'm not a rabbit, and Lily would only be interested in dragging my bones back to my own yard months later. I guess we'll just keep getting up earlier and earlier, heading out with flashlights if need be.

I took my camera with me to document both the peachfest and Floydfest, but I never did take any pictures. I will be stealing some from Jenny.

No comments: