December 22, 2009

Thanks to a friendly neighbor with a tractor and the indomitable spirit of "the little Subaru that could", we are now back on the road! Of course, our car will now be parked almost a half mile from the house, but I won't complain. The weather has been fairly warm today, so a fair amount of melting has been going on. I'll admit, I did have a mild snowbound meltdown yesterday at the prospect of being completely transportationless for an unknown period of time, but now that I have the car freed, I don't want the snow to go!

As we guessed, we haven't seen hide nor feather or the chickens and guineas since Friday. Talk about cabin fever - 16 birds in 36 square feet, all going to the bathroom inside! Whew! They seem to be having fun, though. It's a veritable poultry party every time I go to check their feed and water.

The rest of us have been enjoying getting out and hiking around, although with 16 inches of snow, no one wants to be the one to break new ground. Our compound is a maze of little one lane pathways we've shoveled out and they tend to be used by two and four legged creatures alike. The following video (my first attempt at posting one!) shows that possessing horns guarantees you right of way.

No comments: