May 11, 2010


There are several parts and pieces of nature that I have yet to find any good reason for, such as ticks and mosquitoes (pretty much any small creature that wants to suck my blood). Until recently, I would have put poison ivy on that list as well, but my latest encounter with the itchy plant has given me a new perspective. For almost a week now I have been suffering from an intense case of poison ivy, including swollen face and hands, that has made me believe that poison ivy may have been put on this earth to give me a deeper understanding and compassion for those who suffer serious addictions. While I have been very fortunate thus far in my life to not have personally experienced a battle with addiction, I can imagine it would go something like this:

Almost unconsciously, I find myself gently scratching my hands. It seems so innocent at first. It feels SOO good, and it's just a gentle scratching, more rubbing than scratching, and I can quit any time, really. But soon, the innocence and pleasure are gone, replaced by an angry burning and an overall horror when I realize I can't stop. In fact, I'd probably go so far as to claw my own skin off!!! Help!! I need an intervention! Somebody tie my hands up!

At least my personal training in empathy will only last one to two weeks. :(

No comments: