May 27, 2011

Strawberries and strep

The 100+ strawberry plants we put in the ground last spring have turned into all we could have dreamed of, and more....and more! We now have a virtual strawberry forest (or at least that is what it looks like to the poor little blueberry bushes that are being completely enveloped) that is producing goo-gobs of the most BEAUTIFUL huge berries. I would be even more excited about this except that I've been out of commission with a case of strep throat for the past few days and haven't been able to keep up with the harvest. My hope is to someday soon have the time, and energy, to both harvest and process the bounty; I'm thinking strawberry jam. In the meantime, we've been parceling out strawberries on a "pick your own" basis. I did manage to pick HALF of the plants the other night and came up with this giant bowlful that ended up topping my grandfather's 85th birthday pound cake. YUM!! I think this bowl holds a couple of gallons, at least.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

beautiful strawberries!! : ) I'm sorry about the strep, hope it's all better by now. I ONE strawberry plant and the kids were looking forward to eating some of the berries we've been watching grow, when one morning we went out and they were all gone! Something had eaten them that night! Arrrr....

Enjoy yours, they are beautiful! : )