November 22, 2008

Mice - small little creatures, very cute, but secretly they are weapons of mass destruction! I have spent my afternoon in the freezing cold wind going through boxes of what I thought were prized possessions (they must be or else why would I still have them, right?) but had been transformed into mouse nests, complete with the little rodents themselves. For about a year now, we have had our excess stuff, what wouldn't fit into the shanty, in a weatherproofed old cattle feed shed. Weather proof, yes, but not closed off to various living creatures searching for meals and cozy places to make a home. All summer long I couldn't go in there because of the many wasp nests. This fall, when I decided surely the wasps were gone or too cold to put up a fight, I discovered that all of our cardboard boxes had been chewed into and many of the contents shredded and fluffed by mice. I think this is just God's way of teaching me to let go of even more stuff. After throwing out what was destroyed, and sorting out what I don't really need anyway and can go to the thrift store, the remaining half is being put into plastic storage totes to further prolong its life. It is becoming easier and easier to get rid of stuff. I am now down to a few sentimental childhood items I want to share with my kids someday and miscellaneous supplies for my various hobbies. Virtually all electronic devices have been given away as they have been proven to be unnecessary to a fulfilling life. However....that's just MY stuff. The saga continues this winter when we go through all of Joe's stuff that is stored at his mom's house. At least we have learned our lesson and will be buying stock in Rubbermaid. :)

No comments: